Saturday, June 7, 2008

Training Night #1

Last night was my first night training at the new place. I have to say last night went down in history as being my worse night of bartending EVER. I showed up early and eager to get my training started. I tried to familiarize myself with the bar. I had been studying the specialty cocktail menu all day at work. I even went through and wrote down what was in each of the cocktails on flash cards. I skimmed the food menu a couple times, but studying the stuff on paper never truly prepares you for the real deal.

We had people at the bar right away ordering drinks. Vodka and gin martinis. I made a lot of the La Fresa drinks which was the strawberry drink on the specialty menu. Thankfully I got that drink down pat. Thank goodness. Every bar has their own way of doing things and places to put things. I felt like I had two left feet the entire night. I even managed to spray the bar with half a bottle of champagne. I soaked my bar, myself and the bartender training me. I thought for sure my chances at actually being a bartender at this spot would be over.

At the end of the night, the bartender training me told me I did a rad job. I was shocked. Happy, but shocked. She said that she could tell I knew how to bartend. I know the drinks and I know how the bar works. It was just a matter of learning how their bar worked and learning the bar's specialty drinks. Keep in mind, this bar's specialty drinks are labor intensive. Way beyond the common mojito. She gave me a new drink list and I was told to come back in for training Saturday night at 5 and for Sunday brunch at 11am. I guess if I did as shitty of a job as I thought I had done in my head, they wouldn't have asked me to come back.

The only question I had was when I would know if I got the job or not. I was told that I would know sometime next week. Until then, I must learn and absorb all the information I can and hopefully make a good impression. I know that I am not getting paid to train and don't even have a guarantee for the job. All I can do is do my best and hope that everything works out.

At first, I was a bit turned off by having to learn the labor intensive cocktails, but in all reality, this sort of experience will only make me a stronger bartender. Plus, once I'm in, I am in. I have really not been myself since I have been out of the industry. I kind of missed the social aspects, not to mention the money and flexible schedule. If I can get this place down pat, landing and completing a video production internship will be no sweat.

I am definitely headed in the right direction now. Grandma, please look out for me. I need your guidance and love now more than ever. I miss you every single day you aren't here!! :)

No comments: