Sunday, June 22, 2008

Never Realized How Much I Missed The Bar

I never realized how much I missed bartending until I came back this time around. Granted, I bartended all through college (five years or so) and I loved it back then. I think its just now that I took two years off and worked a 9-5 during the week, I have seen the "other side" and have yearned to come back. I have a deeper appreciation for the bartending profession. I am very thankful that I have such a skill to fall back on.

I had a lot of good times bartending all through school. Bartending is one of those skills you can take with you and make a living anywhere. It allows someone the schedule flexibility to make money and be productive during the day/week which is exactly why I decided to come back to bartending in the first place. The only way I would have been able to even think about doing a video production internship was if I gave up my 9 to 5 and worked nights. Bartending will essentially be the tool, the stepping stone I need to get to where I ultimately want to go.

Also, this time around bartending, I am taking more pride in the drinks I pour. Before I was just a "cocktail factory". Now I work at a bar where I am encouraged to try new recipes and be creative. My goal is to make delicious drinks that people enjoy instead of just getting patrons drunk.

I never realized how much of a homebody my 9 to 5 made me. Once I was away from the bar, my social life basically shrunk. I would opt to go home and get to bed early rather than go out all night, drinking. With bartending, you can still go out all night, but at least you are getting paid to be social. I like the idea of being social at work. I don't feel the pressure to drink either. I am thankful that my bar has a no drinking policy while on the shift.

Two more days at the day job and I am home free. Wednesday will be my first day off in three weeks!

No comments: