Monday, July 27, 2009

Why is Fernet So Popular in SF?


Did you know that San Francisco drinks more Fernet than any other locale in the United States and more per capita than any place on Earth?

I was going to write an article for my Examiner page on why Fernet is so popular here in San Francisco and among the people who work in the industry here. Instead, I stumbled upon a great and very detailed article written back in December of 2005, answering this same question written by Nate Cavalieri of the SF Weekly. I thought that the article was well written and answered my question significantly. I didn't feel the need to regurgitate all of the information because Mr. Cavalieri had done such a nice job the first time.

So in case you've ever wondered why Fernet is so damn popular among San Francisco bartenders, be sure to read:

The Myth of Fernet: The saga of Fernet, and its cultlike popularity, says a lot about San Francisco
Written by Nate Cavalieri (SF Weekly)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember one bartender at the Red Room would start his shift with a shot of Frenet and give out complimentary shots to us regulars. I miss the Red Room.

Anonymous said...

the provincia cordoba drinks more Fernet per capita than any place on Earth