Thursday, July 9, 2009

Thought This Was Funny

A few nights ago, I had a group of older, white gentlemen sitting at my bar who seemed to be having a rather serious conversation. It sounded like politics. One of my rules behind the bar is to never get into a political discussion with a customer. I feel the same way about religion. So this was one of those times when I just kept my thoughts to myself and just listened.

These gentlemen seemed to be playing a grown-up version of "What would you do if...?" They happened to be discussing what they would do if they were governor of California, how they would balance the state's budget and whom they blame for the economy being in the state that it's in.

Oh if it were only that easy guys.

When the time came for their table to be ready, I asked them to close up their tab with me at the bar. All four of them took turns looking over the bill, bitching and griping about their bill coming to a whooping total of forty dollars for four drinks.

I secretly laughed to myself and smiled. Customers are so very entertaining at times. This is why customers are my favorite part of the job. Well, that and all of the alcohol. ;)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Let's see, that is an average of $10 per drink. Why, when I used to frequent bars, drinks were only $5! Or something like that.

Cielo Gold said...

I'm not sure where you are from, but I bartend in San Francisco. You might get a drink for $5 during happy hour. But on average for a decently made, labor intensive, specialty cocktail, $10 is the norm in these parts. Especially if you are ordering it at a high end restaurant like the one I work at.

Also, inflation my dear. Everything is a bit more expensive these days.

Anonymous said...

Especially if you are ordering it at a high end restaurant like the one I work at.

___________________
Smarry
For 3 Months Enjoy Free 28 Premium Movie Channels