Thursday, February 5, 2009

I Can Hear You!!

If you sit at the bar and decide to have an intimate conversation with the person sitting next to you, I have news for you. Bartenders can hear your entire conversation. Especially if you are the only two sitting at the bar and especially if you stay an hour after the bar closes.

Tonight I had a couple come in and have quite a personal conversation at the bar. Keep in mind, the bar is small enough for me to bartend both sides if I stand in the middle of it. I wont get into the details of what was discussed because I want to protect them (whomever they may be) and I really enjoy my job (bartenders have unspoken confidentiality obligations to their customers too), but I have to say the whole experience was very uncomfortable. It's one thing to keep me an hour after we close, but it's another thing when I learn more about the both of you and your "situation" than I care to really know.

It's none of my business, but if you decide to have such a conversation in such a public place, just know that there are people listening.

No comments: