Sunday, February 1, 2009

First Official Night At The New Place

Tonight marked my first official night behind the bar at the new place. Of course within an hour of clocking in and setting up the bar, I broke a wine glass in my ice. It wasn't that big of a deal. It was slow and I had plenty of time to burn (melt) and refill my well with new ice. I was just glad to get something like that out of the way early on in my shift.

On my first official night behind my other bar, I opened a bottle of champagne and it exploded all over the bar and the girl training me. At the time, I was mortified. I had opened a million bottles of champagne during my bartending career and never once had I ever sprayed a bar or another person. After pulling a stunt like that on my first night, one would have thought I had never bartended a night in my life. Even worse, I thought the bar would tell me "thanks, but no thanks" and un-hire me. Luckily for me, I got to keep the job. Now that I look back that night, I laugh and realize that the girl training me actually deserved to wear that bottle of champagne. She was such a bitch and unnecessarily rude to me. But that's a whole other story...

Overall my first night went rather smoothly. It's only going to get easier from here.

3 comments:

Angelica said...

ugh i hate bitchy co-workers.

how do you deal as bartender in such close quarters?

Angelica said...

i have another question...

what kind of picture should you send if they ask for your resume and photo...obviously it's a looks based job but too dressy or just casual...
not sure

has this happened to you?

Cielo Gold said...

Dealing with bitchy co-workers is just like dealing with bitchy customers. You just have to grin and bear it sometimes.

As for resume photos, I hate it when places ask me for a photo. My resume should be just fine to get me in the door for the interview. I figure they will get a good look at me in person. But if they require a photo, I would recommend a nice headshot.