A friend of mine asked me what ten things bartenders hate. I can only speak for myself here, based on my own personal experience. It took me a second, but I came up with a pretty good list. Keep in mind, I absolutely LOVE bartending. No joke. But if I had to pick ten thngs, this is what they would be.
Not listed in any particular order. I think I hate them all pretty equally:
1. People who don't want to wait their turn to order a drink.
2. People who don't tip on free drinks (open bars especially).
3. People who try to order a drink while talking on a cell phone.
4. Having to cut a customer off.
5. People who order drinks without ice. I understand if your teeth are sensitive, but it's the people who don't order ice thinking they are going to get more liquor. Nope, they are just getting more mixer.
6. When people say "Make it strong!" and assume off the bat that I am going to make them a weak drink.
7. Customers who touch me. There is no reason to touch the bartender, EVER!
8. When people expect free drinks. Free drinks are a privilege, not a right.
9. Customers who come in as soon as the business opens or earlier. Customers who come in right before closing time.
10. When customers place the same order with multiple bartenders.
Hey, no matter how much you love a job, no job out there is perfect all of the time.
Happy Cinco De Mayo. Do I hear Taco Tuesday? I think I do!