Sunday, July 27, 2008

Bartending Is Hard Work

I know that bartending is glamorized in our culture and in our movies, but it is a lot of work. Sure, you can work a six hour shift and make more money within that amount of time then you could working at a lot of other jobs. All of that money also comes to you in the form of cash. Plus, you still get a paycheck for the minimum wage for all of the hours you worked. But don't let the hype fool you. Behind all the mirrors and smoke, bartending is a lot of hard work. You are on your feet all night long. You are at the mercy of every customer you help. They depend on you to know how to make the cocktail they are ordering and expect you to make it in a relatively short amount of time. Depending on the type of bar you work at, you might also have to provide a full menu service at the bar as well. Trust me, whenever you add any type of food into the equation, it can be a bitch. I wont lie.

I just got done working a full week behind the bar. When I say full week, I mean five nights a week at at least 6 hours a shift. That's a lot of time to be working behind the bar. Being on your feet all night long and the late hours eventually takes its toll. The exhaustion is so much more different then say working a 9 to 5 in an office where you get to sit on your ass all day.

I am not complaining in any way. I am much happier where I am at now. I love making most of my money in the form of cash. I like getting paid after every shift I work. I like having my days free. I enjoy having three days off a week (usually). I am just making a note that being a bartender requires a great amount of work as well as any other job would require, both physically and mentally. Can you tell I am looking forward to my days off this week?

No comments: